Great portraits don't just happen. They are the result of preparation on both sides of the camera. Your baby & child portraits will reflect the thought and effort you put into them.
- Your child's face should be the focal point of their portraits. Therefore simplicity is the key with clothing. Solid clothing -- items without patterns and stripes -- work best. Classic clothing styles will stand the test of time and keep your portraits looking fresh for years to come.
- For multiple kids, it's important to coordinate colors in the same tonal range so that they look nice together. Spread everyone's selected clothing out on a bed a few days in advance and see what you think.
- Texture works great with kids. Play up smooth skin by introducing lots of texture. A knit scarf, corduroy jacket, or ripped jeans all contrast wonderfully with smooth skin. For babies a knit cap and solid color knit blanket help their skin look silky smooth.
- Shoes & Socks. Because shoes often show in kids portraits, ensure that their shoes compliment their clothing. However, bare feet also look great. Consider dark socks instead of the eye-catching white ones.
- We usually have time for one or more wardrobe changes. Bring double the quantity and variety of clothes than you think you will use. I can help you decide what will work best. Try to span from very casual & fun to formal.
- Glasses create glare, distortion and darkness. If you want your child's glasses included in their pictures then please ask their optometrist to loan you a pair of frames without lenses. Eyes that “pop” and grab your attention are the single most important factor in great portraits. Yes, getting special glasses is a hassle, but it is worth it!
- Start thinking about props. This can make your photograph unique. Consider hats, a picnic basket, toys, balloons, or even pets.
- For babies it is wise to plan ahead to feed them at our studio immediately before (or even during) your session. The few minutes after eating are often the best for them.
- Let’s plan ahead for the best outdoor locations. I have access to many secret hideaways. Just tell me what you envision in your perfect images.
- It is fine to send me “inspiration” photos of others. Look for awesome pictures in google images and send to me in advance. You may be amazed at how often we can re-create your favorites!
A great portrait session is only the beginning. I will work with you to pick the best images and finishes such as B&W and printing materials. I also look forward to helping you with top quality printing, framing, and all types of holiday and announcement cards.
Finally smile and let's all have fun!